Saturday 4 January 2014

HERE'S TO 2014




Another year has rushed by and they seem to be going quicker the older I get. Some of us have made mistakes or have regrets and this is the time where it's acceptable to just forget all of that and look towards the bright prospects of the new year. Last year was the first time I've not made any resolutions and it actually turned out to be one of, if not the best 'full' years since I was old enough to celebrate. So in the same spirit, I'll be doing it again this year.

..Although it wouldn't be a very interesting post if I were to only write this would it? So here are (not exactly 'resolutions') some things I'd like to see myself improve on to get me where I'd like my life to be. 

ORGANISE, SCHEDULE, PREPARE
2013 was the first year I'd bought my own planner and used it for more than a week. Admittedly it was still thrown into a forgotten pile of 'to do' lists, as you do, and I haven't looked back, but this year I hope to improve more on my awful organisational skills. With the start of my blog in July I somehow thought my life would become instantly transformed, alas that way of thinking may have been a little premature. Although I'm very happy with the success I've had with my blog in such a short space of time, for the little I've posted and how irregular it's been at that. I can't wait to see where my blog will end up in 12 months time, but I'm really excited!

GET FIT & STAY FIT
In September my dad bought me my first pair of running shoes for my birthday. Now, I've never been one for exercise despite taking dance lessons for almost 10 years. But in November 2012 I decided I wasn't happy with my weight or health and got myself shifting to resolve it. In the first 2-3 months I lost 2 stone by only eating the correct portion sizes and trying to walk a bit more (I spent so much money because my exercise consisted of doing a few laps around the shopping centre). Ever since then my weight has been fluctuating +/- 2-3lbs but I haven't dieted and I probably eat more take-aways now than the year before. I managed to stick at running for a month and a bit before the cold snap set in and I refused to leave my flat for any other reason than going to university or shopping. I initially shocked myself at how 'good' I was in the beginning, but I've been away from it for far too long now and I need my motivation to kick in. I have plans to run the Race For Life this year with a few of my friends, so hopefully that'll be enough to ease me back into it.

SKILLS (IMPROVING+MAKING THE EFFORT)
Over the next few months I'm going to be working on taking better photos. Now this might sound like a stupid one but I'll feel so much better when I can look at my blog without thinking 'oh that picture is terrible'. It mostly has something to do with the fact my camera is very old (GCSE present..) and maybe that I don't have many skills when it comes to photography anyway. I also want to look into YouTube. I'd love to start making videos but I'm not sure if laurajaneregan is ready for that yet. Watch this space. 

WHAT COMFORT ZONE?
Another cliche, I know! Ever since my mam fell ill and passed away I've become such a recluse and my social life is none existent. I basically left reality and created my own, and except for going to university, I spent all my time with my boyfriend. As time goes on feel I'm getting better but I've needed a lot of pushing. I went out this year for Halloween because my friend Amy asked me and as much as I wanted to back out and make excuses, I said yes. And I'm so glad I did. I had the best time and it really helped me get over this phase. I'm doing more and more things to conquer this feeling because it really is awful, but I hope to be back to my normal self by the end of the year. Fingers crossed.


It's fair to say that there are an increasing number of people who make New Years resolutions knowing they won't bother or won't take it as seriously as its meant. There are also a lot of people who don't see the point in making them because of this very reason. I agree you shouldn't have to make them if you don't want to, it'd probably be best not to if you really feel that way. But if you are going to make them, you should at least try your best to stick to them. And not just for the year either. It's all about looking at the year that's past, not sulking or dwelling over the things you haven't achieved, but looking towards the future and to what you can do to make those things possible, if that's what you still want. 

If there's anything I've learned over the last year or so is that life is too short. Surround yourselves with people who make you happy, who you enjoying spending time with. There's no point in being miserable.

And without sounding all peace & love, be positive. Think positive thoughts. It can really improve your mental health as well as those around you. This is the first time I've been truly happy in a long time. Don't waste your life. Be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment